A Shift in Perspective

Photo credit: Priscilla du Preez, Unsplash

It had been a crazy week, and I was tired. That morning I’d rolled out of bed way past the buzz of my alarm, and our daily morning routine had been a train wreck of missing shoes and flaring tempers. I had barely pulled off getting the kids to school on time before heading out for some much-overdue errand running.

Three hours later I pulled into the driveway,  and told myself that after unloading the groceries I totally deserved to plop down on the couch in front of the TV while I scarfed down my lunch. I’d have just enough time before I had to leave again to pick up the kids from school. Yay for a break! 

As I started emptying plastic bags and putting produce in the fridge, I realized that in the rush of the morning, I hadn’t spent time with God. “Ugh,” I thought, “one more thing I totally failed at today.” I could almost audibly hear my inner critic, rattling on about how God must be so disappointed with me. He had to remind me to spend time with Him-- how sad is that? 

Yet in the midst of the frustration and guilt, the Spirit began to whisper something much different. Psalm 18:19 says, “He rescued me, because He delighted in me.” What if God’s prompting wasn’t a chastisement for what I’d forgotten, but a gentle reminder that He actually likes me, mess and all, and wants to spend time with me? 

I know God loves me, but so often I forget that He likes me too. I forget that He created me with purpose, that He has a specific plan for my life, and that He wants to spend time with me. He cares about my hopes and dreams, my struggles, and my fears. He wants to be my very best friend-- the first one I turn to in everything. 

What a shift in perspective when I realize that my time with God isn’t just something to check off a list, like going to the grocery or folding the laundry. It’s something I can look forward to in anticipation; like coffee with a best friend, only better...way better. 

"Your steadfast love, O Lord, extends to the heavens,
your faithfulness to the clouds. Your righteousness is like the
mountains of God; your judgments are like the great deep;
man and beast you save, O Lord.
How precious is your steadfast love, O God!
The children of mankind take refuge in the shadow of your wings.
They feast on the abundance of your house,
and you give them drink from the river of your delights.
For with you is the fountain of life; in your light do we see light.
Oh, continue your steadfast love to those who know you, and your
righteousness to the upright of heart!"
Psalm 36: 5-10, ESV







Comments

Popular Posts